Friday, June 20, 2008

Camp Rock

Tonight was a night that K has been looking forward to for several months. It was the big premiere of the movie Camp Rock on the Disney Channel.

http://tv.disney.go.com/disneychannel/originalmovies/camprock/index.html


Yes, I will admit it, K has been swept into the High School Musical, Camp Rock phenom. I did screen the first High School Musical before I let her watch it. In general, these movies seem to boil down to the message of being true to yourself rather than trying to be something you are not just to be liked. That is something I want K to learn. Camp Rock was pretty much in the same vein. We watched it together and it did provide us the opportunity to talk about being yourself and not pretending to be someone else just so you'll be popular.

In some ways, I like the Disney channel. Most of their stuff is pretty good for preteens like K to watch. They don't fill their shows with tons of toy commercials like Nickolodeon does. But, there are some shows we don't let K watch. These are the ones where the girls are very materialistic or everything revolves around the "romantic" lives of the kids. What about you? What guidelines do you have for shows you let your kids watch?

1 comment:

Ashley and Mike said...

I despise Sponge Bob, but for some reason Harrison likes it and its his new friend's favorite show. I also get really upset when the disney shows have the "bad words" in them: stupid, idiot, shut up, etc. Those are all big big no-nos in our house and I can't understand why Disney Channel can't make a show without them.