Thursday, August 21, 2008

A shot in the arm for vaccinations

Okay, this post is probably my most controversial yet, but this is my blog, so I'm going to post it anyway:)

I read a lot of other people's blogs and there are quite a few that mention why the blogger has chosen not to get vaccines for their children. Also, it is all over the news, especially stars in Hollywood who have children on the Autism spectrum who believe it is due to vaccines.

I am not one of these people. I understand the argument and I don't deny that there does appear to be something to the possible link to vaccines that needs to be investigated and is being investigated. On the other hand, I know what devestating diseases these vaccines are meant to prevent. Our generation was vaccinated for nearly every childhood disease that our parents were at risk of having. Therefore, most of us have no idea what these diseases are capable of doing.

I ran across this article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution today.

This is my issue with the vaccination debate. I see it the same way I see smoking in public places. Everyone is entitled to choose how they want to parent and whether they want to vaccinate their kids, just as they are entitled to choose whether they want to smoke or not. However, where I have a problem is when your exercise of your freedom to choose puts me and my family in danger. I don't think smoking should be allowed in restaurants and public buildings, because my entire family suffers from asthma and smoke greatly bothers our ability to breathe. Similarly, I don't think kids should be able to come to school without vaccinations and be in a class with kids whose parents have chosen to vaccinate, because if my child's vaccinations didn't fully take or if they carry the virus they are exposed to home to my toddler who has not finished their vaccinations yet, my school-age child or my toddler could be seriously ill, disabled or even die. I know there is a risk even if everyone is vaccinated, but that risk is much smaller than when you have a large and growing number of children who have not been vaccinated.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox. I'm not going to attack any moms/dads who don't vaccinate their kids, I just thought the other side of the coin should get a chance to be heard too:)

1 comment:

Ashley and Mike said...

Very good points! I was worried about the shots when Harrison got them "bundled" together, but all turned out well. When I hear that kids are being picked up in China with measles it seems so odd. By the time our kids get older they will likely feel the same was with chicken pox. Unfortunately the vaccine came out late in life for me and I procrastinated....and got chicken pox in lawschool. Nice!