Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 9 - Healing Broken Marriages

Today's prayer is about healing broken marriages. As a child of divorce myself, this is a topic close to my heart. Marriage is hard and a good marriage is even harder. I really want to model a good marriage for my kids, so that when they grow up and get married themselves, they have a good model to follow, but it is really hard. The very things that attracted me to E can sometimes get on my very last nerve. Ironically, those are the areas we struggle with. It seems there's always one area that makes me say "If only that were different, we'd have smooth sailing." Of course there would always be "one area", but it's tempting to think that if I could just get him to see things my way, he would see that I am right and beg for my forgiveness and we would live happily ever after:) In reality, if you're not working on your marriage, it stumbles off the path and gets lost in the woods.



When E and I had been married about a year, the bloom was falling off the rose. The rosy, easy married life I had pictured was not always the case. It was really taking work and I was disillusioned. I was browsing in a Christian bookstore at the mall in Savannah, Georgia and I found a book called "When Prince Charming Falls Off His Horse" (or something along those lines) that explained that romantic love fades and you're left with a commitment...a promise you have made. Now that we have kids, that commitment is even stronger.



I pray for my marriage and the marriages of everyone in our church and all my friends. I pray that God will make them strong and that they will be good marriages and good models of God's design for marriage.



I pray for those going through separation and divorce. My parents are divorced and have been since I was a toddler. The breakup of a marriage is not always or even usually a mutual decision. I pray God will heal your heart and that you will know you are loved.

No comments: