Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 6 - Pray for Our Pastors and Spiritual Leaders

Today's reading included a quote from Gardiner Spring. If you are like me, you're wondering who Gardiner Spring is, so I looked him up on yahoo. Gardiner Spring was a minister in the 1800s who resisted become a minister for many years and practiced law instead, this peeked my interest, since I am a sometimes lawyer myself. When he finally surrendered to God's call, he was the preacher of the same church in New England for 63 years, even though he received numerous calls to go to other "bigger" churches. He wrote A LOT of books.

The quote said "it is no marvel that the pulpit is so powerless, and ministers so often disheartened when there are so few to hold up their hands...when the churches cease to pray for ministers, ministers will no longer be a blessing to the churches." YIKES!!!! Guilty as charged! It is so easy to assume that my pastor spends so much time with God that they are tight and he doesn't really need my prayers because he must pray all the time anyway. It is easy to overlook the struggles he must go through.

Our church has 3 services every Sunday morning, plus a Sunday night service, plus a discipleship class the pastor teaches every Wednesday. That's a lot of preaching, teaching and preparation. I am going to try harder to pray for him and his family.

No comments: